Sunday, January 16, 2011

XY resolution Extra Credit

X and Y Resolution
Intro to Design Extra Credit
By. Jennifer Brewer
1/04/2001

            While working with GIMP on my first project for my Intro to Design class, I came across something that had me a bit confused.  I noticed that you could unlink the X and Y resolutions to input separate values.  I was unsure how that would work or how they could be used.
            After hours of researching I have found some information towards the answer.  However, I was unable to find an exact common answer, but a similar use. This is what I found.
            On a Photoshop forum I found a question similar to mine, and a small debate as to what it would be used for.  The common reasoning for a separate X and Y resolution would be used for a 3D image.  For example, building a 3D sphere or cylinder would require a separate resolution for clarity.  Having square pixels would distort the texture image of the models.  Whereas a rectangular pixel would fit better with less distortion.
            I also asked my brother, James Brewer, who builds 3D models for virtual worlds on the internet.  He agreed that using separate resolutions for textures used on spherical and cylindrical shapes creates less distortion in the image.  He also mentioned that it can come into play with poster or large print media.
            I also found a second reason for the difference in the X and Y resolution density.  When televisions were first made, the pixels were not square.  Both NTSC and PAL televisions did not use square pixels.  PAL televisions’ pixels are wider, while NTSC pixels are taller.  This ratio would require separate pixel resolutions.
            In conclusion the X and Y resolution in GIMP would be used  more for odd shape texture images for 3D modeling.  Since NTSC and PAL are analogue television encoding systems still used in many countries, the X and Y resolutions would still be used for the purpose of analog televisions.

Resources:


James Brewer

No comments:

Post a Comment